A new job for me! Executive Assistant to Elder Boom, the new Europe North Area President
For my own records, here's the story how I got my new job as Executive Assistant to Elder Boom, the Area President for the brand new Europe North Area Church Headquarter:
Before we moved to England, I wasn’t so sure what job I was going to get. I thought it would be great to have a paid or a volunteer job that has something to do with refugees. Several interesting things happened when we arrived that let to a surprising job for me:
We arrived on
Saturday, Aug. 6th. On Sunday we went to church and when we got out
of our car, the very first person we met in the UK was Elder Whiting from the Area
presidency. He told us in the parking
lot that he just arrived here from Frankfurt and that there is going to be a
new Europe North area and asked us if any of us are looking for a new job. I
said, I guess I could look for a job. Later I found out that 10 years ago there was a church HQ in
Surrey, and that the church owned those offices till about 2 years ago but now
sold them. Since then there was just a HQ in Frankfurt and then later a HQ in
Russia. The church decided the end of March after Ukraine war basically shut
down the Europe East area to move the Europe East Area president Elder Boom and
his counselor Elder Whiting from Russia, temporally to Latvia and then created
the Europe North Area near London with Elder Boom as president and Elder
Whiting as 1st counselor and Elder Phillips (from the UK) as 2nd
counselor. They picked High Wycombe as the location because of its proximity
to London but still outside of the very busy M25 (Motorway). This new area
presidency started functioning in June from abroad, while they were waiting for
their visas. Elder Whiting received his visa first beginning of August and
Elder Boom followed a few weeks later. So by “coincidence” we arrived at the
same time Elder Whiting arrived.
I gave my resume to the DTA (Director of Temporal Affairs). Soon thereafter I received an email to interview for the
position as executive assistant to the area presidency. I told HR before that I
was interested in working for refugees, so maybe welfare dept. or something
related with family resources and use my degree. So, I was a bit surprised by
that position that was proposed. However, I figured I’ll go for it. It took 4
interviews before I received a job offer. There were many applicants to sort
through and between each interview about 1 month passed. The 4th interview was with the Welfare dept. After that it took about 1 week from HR to call me and say that the church wants to offer me a job, not in the welfare dept.,
but they felt strongly that I needed to be working directly with the area
presidency. So, this is how I became the executive assistant to the area
presidency. I started being trained on Nov. 14th in the temporary
office in the High Wycombe chapel. (That was also the day I hurried and bought a car for me, since taking the bus would take 1 hour - if the bus shows up!) After one week the DTA met with
Lesley, the other executive assistant to the area presidency and Michela, the DTA’s
executive assistant and he told us that he wants me to be the executive
assistant for the President, Elder Boom and Lesley the exec. Ass. for Elder
Whiting and Elder Phillips.
Here's the temporary office at the High Wycombe Chapel: Lesley and I were there from Nov. 14th to Dec. 2nd
Finally, on Dec. 6th we got to move to the new office building in Wooburn Green, just 7 minutes east of the Chapel. The heater did not work, so I was dressed with everything I had on that first day. (It also snowed that day, and my car's battery was dead, so I had to get a ride from Josh). The toilets on the main floor did not flush, so there's quite a bit of work to be done in these new offices! Also, the second floor needs lots of renovation, so at first, people will be working on the main floor.

Comments
Post a Comment